May 19, 2024

Black Friday 2021: best places to shop for college students

Black Friday can be quite the experience, so where are the best places to shop this year?

Every year, family and friends get together for turkey day, an excuse to stuff your stomach until you can’t eat anymore, and drink until you spill all the secrets you maybe didn’t want your family to know. Sometimes you have your typical family drama, sneak away from everyone else with your favorite cousins…or slip out the door to max out your credit cards on Black Friday. My favorite, however, is the last mentioned. 

Black Friday is an excuse one day a year to empty your pockets, spend more money than normal, and use the fact that there are “sales” as an excuse to spend money. 

Some people enjoy extreme couponing and finding the best deals for something particular, whereas others just go out on a limb and hope for the best.

Now, many times people automatically think that Black Friday means shopping in person, however, in my experience, the online version can be just as satisfactory. 

At Capital, 72% of students have experienced Black Friday shopping. I’m here to help inform the other 28% of you who are missing out. However, only 55% of students say that they enjoyed their time, so I’m here to make the other 45% have a better experience. 

Despite the type of shopper you are, here’s a list of my top three favorite places to shop.

#3. Bath and Body Works 

If you’re looking for a good place to grab some stocking stuffers or re-up on some personals, Bath and Body Works is for you. This year, their annual Black Friday sale includes buy three items (lotions, sprays, mists, body washes) and get three free. Yes, this is a great deal, however, it is nothing special. They run these deals just about every month so it’s nothing out of the ordinary to have those sales. However, they’re still good deals.

#2 Macy’s: 

In second place we have Macy’s. They have something for everyone. 75% off sterling silver, $80 Rachael Ray cookware sets, $25 fragrances, 60-70% off of winter coats, and more. There’s some variety in their sales which is beneficial for every member of the family. 

#1 Walmart

In first place comes Walmart. Yes, Walmart. Now I do not suggest going to Walmart in person for these deals because it is an absolute mob in there, but I do suggest heading to their online catalog and snagging a few diamonds in the rough. 

Some of the top pieces include a 70” Vizio SmartTV LED for $500, a Power XL Grill Air Fryer 5.5 Quarts for $69.99 (dorm friendly), $399 refurbished MacBook Air, $69.99 Vizio Soundbar, $298 for an inflatable jet hot tub with lights, and $99 for Beats Solo Pro noise-canceling headphones. 

Walmart is at the top of my list because it has deals on higher priced items, in particular electronics that will be long lasting and satisfy everyone. 

Now, no one said you ever had to listen to me, some Capital students have some other suggestions on where to go as well. Best Buy, Old Navy, Target, Dicks, Ohio Thrift, Dollar General, Barnes and Noble, JCPenney, Kohls, as well as my suggestions of Macy’s and Walmart are some other favorite places to go on Black Friday. 

If you are unsure about where to start on Black Friday, start with these stores. You never know where you’ll end up.


  • Bianca Blanks

    Bianca is a triple major in sociology, criminology, and Spanish, treasurer of the Criminology and Sociology club, America Reads tutor, along with her position as a reporter for the Chimes.

Leave a Reply